The Hedgeman Law Firm has provided legal services to nonprofit organizations since it started in 2007. The comprehensive legal services we provide to nonprofits help them navigate state and federal regulatory frameworks and operate effectively.
Tax Exempt Entities
Why do you need a nonprofit lawyer?
- Formation and dissolution of tax exempt entities and necessary approvals from the NYS Attorney General’s office.
- Tax exemption, including initial applications; reporting information to the IRS, including Form 990; unrelated business income tax; advising on IRS audits; advising on New York State sales tax and real property tax exemptions; and reporting to the New York State Charities Bureau
- Private foundation issues, including advising on self-dealing, excise taxes, minimum distributions, excess business holdings, and other matters; the Hedgeman Law Firm represents a large number of private foundations, including some with assets in excess of $500 million
- Board operation, including best practices relating to governance; director responsibilities and liabilities and D&O insurance; interactions among directors and staff; and adoption of board policies on ethics, conflicts of interest, whistleblowing, record retention, and gift acceptance procedures
- Bylaws and certificates of incorporation, including analysis of and amendments to these documents and necessary approvals from state agencies, the New York State attorney general, and the New York State Supreme Court
- Joint ventures with other not-for-profits and with for-profits, including service-sharing arrangements among a group of not-for-profits
- Religious Organizations
- Sale of real property
Contact our office for your nonprofit legal needs.
Kate is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney. She is extremely responsive, in constant communication, and proactive. As her client for several years, I never have to worry about cases managed by Kate. She takes the lead and gets great results.
I am incredibly grateful for the outstanding legal support provided by Catherine Hedgeman of Hedgeman Law Firm. Her dedication to serving the Albany Black Chamber of Commerce as a non-profit attorney has been exceptional. Catherine’s extensive knowledge and expertise in non-profit law have been instrumental in guiding our organization through complex legal matters. Her attention to detail, professionalism, and commitment to achieving positive outcomes have consistently exceeded our expectations.
Not only does Catherine possess a deep understanding of the legal landscape, but she also demonstrates a genuine passion for supporting the growth and success of non-profit organizations. She has been a valuable asset in helping us navigate legal challenges, ensuring compliance, and protecting our organization’s best interests. Beyond her legal acumen, Catherine is a pleasure to work with. Her approachable nature, strong communication skills, and ability to explain complex legal concepts in a clear and concise manner have fostered a strong working relationship with our team. She is always prompt in responding to our inquiries, providing guidance, and offering invaluable advice.
I wholeheartedly recommend the Hedgeman Law Firm to any non-profit organization seeking expert legal counsel. Her unwavering dedication, professionalism, and commitment to the success of her clients make her an exceptional attorney. We are truly grateful for the positive impact she has had on our organization.