The Hedgeman Law Firm has provided legal services to nonprofit organizations since it started in 2007. The comprehensive legal services we provide to nonprofits help them navigate state and federal regulatory frameworks and operate effectively.
Tax Exempt Entities
Why do you need a nonprofit lawyer?
- Formation and dissolution of tax exempt entities and necessary approvals from the NYS Attorney General’s office.
- Tax exemption, including initial applications; reporting information to the IRS, including Form 990; unrelated business income tax; advising on IRS audits; advising on New York State sales tax and real property tax exemptions; and reporting to the New York State Charities Bureau
- Private foundation issues, including advising on self-dealing, excise taxes, minimum distributions, excess business holdings, and other matters; the Hedgeman Law Firm represents a large number of private foundations, including some with assets in excess of $500 million
- Board operation, including best practices relating to governance; director responsibilities and liabilities and D&O insurance; interactions among directors and staff; and adoption of board policies on ethics, conflicts of interest, whistleblowing, record retention, and gift acceptance procedures
- Bylaws and certificates of incorporation, including analysis of and amendments to these documents and necessary approvals from state agencies, the New York State attorney general, and the New York State Supreme Court
- Joint ventures with other not-for-profits and with for-profits, including service-sharing arrangements among a group of not-for-profits
- Religious Organizations
- Sale of real property
Contact our office for your nonprofit legal needs.