The Hedgeman Law Firm’s Government Relations Practice combines the capabilities of its New York and Washington, D.C., admitted attorneys to advocate for our clients at various levels of government.
Our Regulatory/Government Relations Services Include:
State and local government relations and lobbying
- Legislation and budget advocacy, development and tracking
- Regulatory advocacy at all levels of government, including licensing, investigations, and enforcement actions
- Lobby law compliance
- Procurement and procurement lobbying compliance
- Government investigations and enforcement
- Assistance with MWBE certification
- Association management and lobby days
- Election law compliance
- Public officers’ law/ethics compliance
Our multi-disciplinary team understands the regulatory, operational, and business challenges unique to the following sectors:
- Lobbying and Election Law Compliance
- State and Federal Public Authorities
Lobbying and Election Law Compliance
Our lobbying and election law compliance attorneys provide comprehensive legal advice and counsel to corporations and nonprofit organizations on all matters associated with lobbying and political activities at the state and federal levels.
Communications with public officials at the federal, state, and local levels are subject to strict rules and regulations. We assist our clients in identifying when they are lobbying, and with registering and reporting. We also assist clients when they become subject to a lobbying audit or investigation,
Our attorneys are engaged to provide the following legal services:
- Advising on registration and disclosure obligations, including providing advice on permissible lobbyist activity, expenditures, and political contributions
- Assisting with registration and reporting obligations
- Advising on gift rules and prohibitions
- Formulating an organizational strategy in implementing a lobbying plan
- Advising on strategies regarding grassroots activity to ensure that efforts comply with applicable jurisdictional reporting requirements
- Seeking clarification from state agencies and commissions regarding new and existing rules as well as troubleshooting compliance and civil and criminal exposure issues
- Providing tax-related advice with regard to IRS reporting requirements and restrictions regarding lobbying activity
- Representing clients during investigations, civil penalty hearings, and criminal referrals resulting from violations of pertinent lobbying laws
We also assist clients in achieving compliance with all applicable state and federal election laws, rules, and regulations. Our lobbying and election law compliance attorneys advise clients on political-fundraising compliance at the state and federal levels. We have extensive experience with requirements for corporations and their employees; political action committee (PAC) activities including formation, and compliance; political contributions by corporations; and the ethical guidelines and prohibitions governing public officials and government employees.
State and Federal Public Authorities
Our Attorneys have vast experience in representing and advising public authorities regulated by and appearing before regulation entities including but not limited to the New York State Authorities Budget Office, The New York State Comptroller’s Office, and the New York State Attorney General’s Office.
Contact our office for more information.